Happy First Day of School!

Happy First Day of School

Works Cited
dress: h&m
flats: steve madden
necklace: macy's (old)

This is my first fall in 20 years that I'm not starting classes of my own and I'm realizing how different it is to dress for a first day where I am only teaching, instead of a first day taking classes, as well. I found myself much less concerned about looking cute and put-together, and much more concerned about what tone my outfit conveys.

Happy First Day of School

So this outfit is pretty boring. But here's why: it's the first day of the new semester of teaching and I want to make a particular impression. I don't want to be too dressed up, because that reads as overcompensating. I don't want to wear a ton of bright colors, because that reads as "fun and carefree" when I want students to take me seriously (at least initially). I don't want to wear high heels because I do a lot of walking through my classroom and I want to feel comfortable. And I want to look at least a little bit intimidating, because the truth is, I'm kind of a soft teacher, so I need my first day attire to be a little tougher than I am :)

Hope all you other teachers and students are having/will have/have had terrific first days! xo
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...